COMPETITION CLOSED: Congratulations to our winners: Claire Mitchell, Kent; Pauline Fothergill, West Yorks; Katrina Day-Reilly, East Sussex; Inga Andersen, Lincs; Pauline Litton, Harrogate; Laura Boyes, Bucks; David Page, Leicester; Jimmy Milligan, Whitley Bay; Tracey Poulter, Wetherby; Frank Blades, Bath
To coincide with our fascinating and informative article on one-place studies in the May issue of Family Tree, on sale now, we have 10 copies of A Dictionary of British Place Names by A D Mills to give away. To enter the draw all you have to do is answer the following question correctly, by 17 May 2012. Ten winners will be picked at random after this date.
Who wrote our one-place study article? Need some help? Click here.
A Dictionary of British Place Names
This is an invaluable guide to the origins of more than 17,000 place names across Britain. Newly updated, it features counties, cities, towns, suburbs, rivers and coastal features, explaining their meanings and how they reflect Britain’s colourful past – from the invasions and settlement of the Celts (Dover and Leeds) to the Norman Conquest (Battle and Richmond) and more recent historical events (Peacehaven and Waterloo). Some of the more exotic place names such as California and Quebec sit happily alongside more intriguing names such as Crackpot and Pennycomequick in this rich collection from England, Scotland, the Scottish islands, Wales, Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man. Including maps, glossaries and recommended websites for further research, this is a fascinating and useful gazetteer that you will reach for again and again.
ISBN: 9780199609086, £10.99. Published by Oxford University Press; www.oup.com.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- To enter the competition, you must answer the multiple choice question correctly.
- Closing date of the competition is 11.59pm on 17.5.12.
- There will be ten winners, each receiving one copy of A Dictionary of British Place Names.
- Winners of the competition will be announced via the website www.family-tree.co.uk.
- Only one entry is permitted per person.
- Competition is open only to those aged 18 and over.
- No purchase is necessary to enter.
- There will be no cash or alternative prize available.
- The judges’ decision as to the winner is final.
- No correspondence will be entered into.
- Promoters reserve the right to amend or withdraw the competition without notice due to circumstances beyond their reasonable control.