We have one copy of the stunning yet quirky Diableries by Brian May, Denis Pellerin and Paula Fleming to give away. To be in with a chance of winning, all you need to do is sign up for our newsletter below.
Diableries: Stereoscopic Adventures in Hell – review by Karen Clare (FT Christmas)
View the Gothic Underworld through the eyes of your ancestors in 3D with this stunning boxed book, revealing some surprising attitudes of the day. Diableries are a special kind of ‘stereo’ 3D photograph printed on paper featuring models (beautifully sculpted in clay) of skeletons, devils and ghouls up to all sorts of mischief, each telling a different story. The eerie images mounted on the cards are monochrome, long before colour photography was invented, and were hugely popular in England and France in the 1850s. This extraordinary book of Diablerie images from the 1860s (many digitally restored) has been a labour of love for its three authors, Brian May (yes, the Brian May, the legendary Queen guitarist) and fellow stereo photography experts Denis Pellerin and Paula Richardson Fleming. Here they share their passion for these unique forms of art, for the first time examining their subversive use as a tool for social and political comment – one that could sometimes land their creators in hot water. Discover the stereo photography pioneers and the ‘magic’ behind their creations. The inclusion of a modern owl-shaped stereoscope, so you can view the images in 3-D, make this great fun and you can learn how to take your own stereo photos too, doubly ensuring it will wow even the youngest family members.
ISBN: 9780957424609. RRP £40 hardback box set. The London Stereoscopic Company (an imprint of Carlton Books).
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- To enter the competition, you must agree to sign up for our newsletter and complete the form. You will be added to the newsletter mailing list regardless of whether or not you tick to agree to contact from Family Tree. If you have already signed up to our newsletter you can still enter the draw and you will not receive the newsletter twice.
- Closing date of the draw is 11.59pm on 02.01.14.
- There will be one winner, receiving one copy of Diableries.
- The winner of the draw will be informed by email and announced via the website www.family-tree.co.uk.
- Only one entry is permitted per person.
- No purchase is necessary to enter.
- There will be no cash or alternative prize available.
- Automated entries are not permitted and will be disqualified.
- The judges’ decision as to the winner is final.
- No correspondence will be entered into.
- Promoters reserve the right to amend or withdraw the competition without notice due to circumstances beyond their reasonable control.